A whole new set of reasons to drink this ancient elixir daily!
I’ve been hearing about the benefits of drinking water with lemon for years and years.
Just look around the dining tables at any contemporary restaurant; most patrons will have a wedge of lemon (or lime) hanging on the side of their glass, or pummeled to near pulp with their straw down at the bottom of their glass.
Warm or room temperature water with lemon is also touted as an invigorating and healthy fountain of youth when drank first thing in the morning.
A quick browse of the ‘net will pull up tons and tons of blogs and websites listing benefits of this magical elixir. Here are just a few:
- It clears your complexion and gives you a youthful glow (along the same lines as the cleaning and stain-removing effects of fresh lemon juice).
- It is a natural laxative and aids in digestion. The citric acid in lemon juice supports the production of digestive juices, which increases the elimination of toxins from the bowels and decreases gas and bloating.
- As an addendum to above, number 2, drinking warm water with lemon is a great assist in weight loss and maintaining a healthier weight. In addition to the cleansing properties, it also boosts your metabolism.
- This drink contains immunity boosting properties and floods your body with electrolytes, which hydrate and replenishe. Lemons contain electrolytes such as potassium, calcium, and magnesium, all of which are sorely lacking in many American diets.
As if those were not enough reasons to convince you to begin your day with this warm and nourishing drink, here are some reasons not (or, possibly not) backed by science, but directly from my own personal experience.
- Warm water with lemon is an appetite suppressant. It’s true; I can start my day with 8 ounces of this stuff at 6am and not feel hungry again until around 10am!
- It melts away belly fat. Again, this is the real deal! Eight weeks after having another little one, my belly was flatter and smoother than I can remember it ever being since my days of youth.
- Drinking it first thing in the morning will give you a natural energy boost that has nothing on caffein/coffee. Now, I do love my daily cup ‘o’ joe, but if I miss a morning of my lemon water I definitely feel like I’m dragging and lethargic all.day.long.
- Lemon water has helped me lose A LOT less hair! No lie – aside from the normal amount of post-partum shedding, I’ve noticed a drastic decrease in the amount of hair I lose in the shower, as well as while styling. It’s incredible!
I can go on and on about the benefits of this magical elixir, and you can read so much about it on the internet that it’ll make your head spin.
Or, you can do yourself a favor and just try it for two weeks 🙂
8 oz warm or room temperature water
1-2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
*Something that helps ensure my success in drinking this stuff daily is this: I juice 3-4 lemons at a time and refrigerate in an air tight container or glass jar.
Post your results, favorite (or least favorite) experiences, and any general comments below. And don’t forget to share on SC’s Facebook page!